Friday, September 27, 2013
Leaving Atlanta area
We headed for Charleston this morning and I decided that since we were passing by the city of Augusta, Georgia, site of The Masters, that we should stop and check it out. So we left the freeway and headed into the city. Although I thought it was a good idea, it turned out to not be very fruitful. The Augusta Country Club is a private club and frankly, we couldn't even find the private gate to gawk in. The best we were able to do was to drive on some of the blocks near (but not part of) the country club. The city is a pretty normal one, but I imagine the city must go crazy during The Masters. Then it was on to the freeway.
During our travels, we have fallen into a pattern. Felice does a Google map for our next stop and gives me the directions as we approach each turn. Once she gets me started, she proceeds to research hotels and call seeking the best rates and amenities. Today, Felice had a particularly frustrating time of it since certain areas of the city of Charleston are very expensive. When it was time for my next turn, she was on the phone and I had to wing it. So I made the turn, but then got off the freeway and pulled over to consult with her once she was off the phone. It turned out that my stopping place was a gas station with gas priced at $2.999 per gallon. I just couldn't pass that up eventhough I only needed half a tank.
We got started again and got to the hotel. Once we relaxed, we dove into the downtown core of Charleston and checked out the city. We walked 5 miles today (flashback to NYC) and found the city to be charming. I thank Felice for allowing me to use an hour of our walking to be on a board meeting/conference call. After some window shopping, we had a nice dinner at Sticky Fingers Rib Restaurant where we had a rib sampler of 4 different styles of ribs. They were St. Louis Rub, Sweet Carolina, Kentucky Bourbon and Original Carolina. We were stuffed, but felt like we walked off the dinner before dinner. On the way back to the car, we found an old (I mean old)reform synagogue founded in approximately 1792. Thought about attending Friday night services, but we were not exactly attired appropriately (shorts and short sleeve shirts) plus we would have had to wait an hour for the service to begin. On the way back to the car we found a cute little art gallery specializing in local artists. As I walked in I immediately saw the work I wanted. Turned out that we liked it so much, we bought all three of the artist's abstract oil paintings on canvas. Because we expressed an interest in all three, the proprietor offered us a package deal. Like Felice's dad used to say, "If one is good, three is better."
We are back in the hotel, planning our time in Savannah tomorrow. We have surpassed 2,500 miles so far and it is conceivable we could get to 6,000 miles before we return.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment