Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Our next adventure

I know that the blog is called Around NYC in 60 Days, but now we are going to rename it, Around NYC in 60 Days and Beyond. Yes, Felice and I are embarking on another adventure. Just like our experience in NYC, this one has an outline of a plan, but most of it is that we are going to figure it out as we go along. Felice and I last took a major car trip almost 35 years ago as with her travel agency background and a shortage of time, air travel was our primary mode of vacationing. Now that we have a little more time, we decided to see the world (or at least North America) by car. So our toe in the water in automobile travel is a planned three week trip in the south. Of course our first stop will be Dallas (actually Plano) to see our granddaughter Sydney, who is just over 6 months old. Oh and I guess we will see Eric and Lindsey too. From there it will be to points east with at least a planned stop in Daytona to see Uncle Stuart and Aunt Jane. Along the way (and back) we are unsure about where to go, but have been told about cities like Natchez, Nashville, Memphis, Bentonville, Panama City, Savannah, Charleston, Atlanta, etc. We will see, but if you have any cities between Mesa and Florida and below the Mason-Dixon line, please let us know. Today was day 1. We filled up the car with our luggage (and a bunch of Eric's stuff that was left in the house) and headed north through Payson and up to I-40. Along the way, we saw energy generating windmills that hunormous. Driving the backroads of Arizona is beautiful and it was great to be in weather that was under 90 degrees. Once we got on I-40, it was 75 miles per hour and zoom, zoom. Well, not exactly as once in New Mexico, every 10 to 20 miles, the road was cut down to one lane as they were paving the second lane. There were a lot of trucks to dodge the entire time on I-40. Just about 20 miles west of Albuquerque, we hit a blinding rainstorm, probably remnants of what hit Colorado. This required our full attention, but thankfully it lasted only 15 minutes. New Mexico is spectacular, with beautiful colors and mesa after mesa. We decided to bed down in Tucumcari after 590 miles of driving. Tommorow will be on to Plano. So far we have held up well, and we just might enjoy this driving thing. More to come. Gary and Felice

No comments:

Post a Comment